Do I Need a Permit
If you are working on a project at your home, please read the information below and contact the Building Department before you begin your project to ensure you have the proper permits and inspections required by the Village.
The Village has adopted codes covering building, electrical, heating and plumbing work, as well as zoning regulations. Make certain that your architect and/or contractor is familiar with Fox River Grove's code requirements and obtains all required permits before beginning work.
IMPORTANT: Please call J.U.L.I.E. (Joint Utility Locating Information for Excavators) at 800-892-0123 and the Village at 847-639-3170 for utility line locations on your property before doing any digging.
Common Home Improvements Requiring a Permit
- New construction, additions or remodeling
- Alterations and repairs that are structural such as brickwork, adding a dormer and foundation drainage
- New electrical wiring and distribution equipment
- New or relocated plumbing supply, drain, waste, vent or gas piping
- HVAC equipment and water heater replacement
- Installation of a fireplace or wood stove
- Moving or enlarging walls, windows and doors
- Finishing a basement or an attic space
- Driveways, patios, decks, walks
- Installation of sprinkler system, swimming pool, fence, or storage shed
- IBC construction standards have been adopted by the Village of Fox River Grove as a protective measure for the residents. All construction work being performed on structures must comply with these standards before a building permit is issued
Some permits may be obtained over-the-counter at Village Hall without Building Department review. Please click the following link to access a list of those permit types as well as links to associated application forms. Over-the-Counter Permits
Please contact the Building Department if you are unsure if your project requires a permit. The list above is a general summary.